Built by local fighters during the Indochina conflict, the Cu Chi tunnels served as a base from which the Viet Cong could operate from close to the Southern Vietnamese capital. For this Ho Chi Minh city tour, leave the hustle and bustle of Ho Chi Minh City to explore one of the relics from one of the most significant local historical events in recent memory.
Journey takes 2 hours west towards the Cambodian border. Ongoing way to the Cu Chi tunnels, we can see local life in the area, both past and present. Learn about their lives, culture, and customs and get an insight into the recent past through local eyes.
Continue on to the Cu Chi tunnels. The location of the tunnels was of significant strategic importance: they are at the end of the infamous Ho Chi Minh Trail, and within striking distance of the southern Vietnam capital. Initial construction started in 1948 when the Viet Minh required somewhere to hide from French air attacks, and by 1965, the tunnel complex was estimated to consist of 200 km of tunnels. It included, hospitals, schools, meeting rooms, kitchens, and sleeping quarters. Life was difficult for the inhabitants, and to protect against outside intruders, booby traps were laid throughout the complex.
Today, the Vietnamese government has preserved approximately 75 km of the Cu Chi tunnels as a memorial park, and in some areas the tunnels have been widened and low powered lights installed so that tourists can now fit through the complex.
Your local guide will take you on a fascinating tour of the Cu Chi tunnels, where you will learn more about the conditions the people lived in, the hardships they faced, and the amazing ingenuity employed to maintain life in the tunnels. We walk past huge bomb craters – evidence of the heavy bombing campaigns in the region during the Indochina conflict, discover hidden entrances right beneath your feet, wander past tiny little chimneys in the ground that dispersed smoke from the underground kitchens, sample some of the simple cuisine that local fighters would have survived on, and have an opportunity to venture into the tunnels and explore the complex.
- Hotel pickup & Drop off (centrally located hotels only)
- Explore the Cu Chi tunnels by minivan
- Explore Saigon River by speedboat
- Learn the in-dept history of the war from Vietnamese sights
- Sightseeing villages, rubber plantations and rice paddies by local transport
- Experience what it was like living inside the tunnel system
- Delve into an underground world of guerrilla warfare in the incredible Cu Chi tunnels
- Gain insight into the tenacity and resourcefulness of the Vietnamese
- Go on a jungle walk in the tunnel area
- Crawl inside the tunnels
- Try cassava root that sustained Viet Cong fighters for years
- Delicious lunch of traditional Vietnamese cuisine
- Chance to shoot the AK47, M16, M30, M60, Garand M1, Carbine (at your own expenses)
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Your Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City|
|DEPARTURE AND PRICE INFORMATION||8:00 AM -15:00 PM|
Travel insurance ($5.000 USD/ case)
|NOT INCLUDED|| Personal expensive