Built by local fighters during the Indochina conflict, the Cu Chi tunnels served as a base from which the Viet Cong could operate from close to the Southern Vietnamese capital. For this Ho Chi Minh city tour, leave the hustle and bustle of Ho Chi Minh City to explore one of the relics from one of the most significant local historical events in recent memory.
Continue on to the Cu Chi tunnels. The location of the tunnels was of significant strategic importance: they are at the end of the infamous Ho Chi Minh Trail, and within striking distance of the southern Vietnam capital. Initial construction started in 1948 when the Viet Minh required somewhere to hide from French air attacks, and by 1965, the tunnel complex was estimated to consist of 200 km of tunnels. It included, hospitals, schools, meeting rooms, kitchens, and sleeping quarters. Life was difficult for the inhabitants, and to protect against outside intruders, booby traps were laid throughout the complex.
Your local guide will take you on a fascinating tour of the Cu Chi tunnels, where you will learn more about the conditions the people lived in, the hardships they faced, and the amazing ingenuity employed to maintain life in the tunnels. We walk past huge bomb craters – evidence of the heavy bombing campaigns in the region during the Indochina conflict, discover hidden entrances right beneath your feet, wander past tiny little chimneys in the ground that dispersed smoke from the underground kitchens, sample some of the simple cuisine that local fighters would have survived on, and have an opportunity to venture into the tunnels and explore the complex.
Lunch in Mekong delta- My Tho after over one and half hour bus drive passing rice field. Then take a cruise on the Tien River to the Unicorn Island. On the way, you can see Dragon, Phoenix and Turtle Islands. You are going to enjoy the Southern Vietnamese Folk Music, it is performed by the local people who are living on the Island. After visiting the Coconut Candy Mill, enjoying honey tea and the amazing rowing boat trip on the small canal, you should not miss. Boat trip back to My Tho City. Heading back Ho Chi Minh City by bus.
Morning: Cu Chi Tunnels
7:30 AM – You will be picked up at your hotel in Ho Chi Minh city by a Luxury Mini Van and head to Cu Chi tunnels, where you will explore and learn about the Vietnam War resistance the US Forces.
11:30 AM – You will depart for Mekong Delta, stopping at a local restaurant on the way to enjoy a lunch of Vietnamese Cuisine.
Afternoon: Mekong Delta
1:30 PM – You will arrive at Mekong Delta, where you will take a row boat to paddle along the small canals under the fronds of the coconut trees lining both sides. Afterwards you will board the motor boat to cruise to the coconut island. You will disembark at a local family’s residence to enjoy tropical fruits, taste honey tea and wine, see how the local products are made, and enjoy a live local music performance performed by the villagers.
4:00 PM – Enjoy some time strolling along the countryside roads to get to know the locals going about their day. Relax with the peaceful atmosphere, then say goodbye and depart for Ho Chi Minh City.
Around 5:45 PM to 6:15 PM – You will arrive Ho Chi Minh city and be taken back to your hotel.
- Hotel pickup & Drop off (centrally located hotels only)
- Explore the Cu Chi tunnels by minivan
- Learn the in-dept history of the war from Vietnamese sights
- Sightseeing villages, rubber plantations and rice paddies by local transport
- Experience what it was like living inside the tunnel system
- Delve into an underground world of guerrilla warfare in the incredible Cu Chi tunnels
- Gain insight into the tenacity and resourcefulness of the Vietnamese
- Go on a jungle walk in the tunnel area
- Crawl inside the tunnels
- Try cassava root that sustained Viet Cong fighters for years
- Chance to shoot the AK47, M16, M30, M60, Garand M1, Carbine (at your own expenses)
- Traditional coconut candy workshop
- Honey bee farm
- Riding horse-cartridge
- Traditional folk music
- Experience the incredibly lush beauty of the Mekong Delta
- Take a private cruise along the Mekong River and see what life is like on the Delta
- Savour tropical fruit on an island
- See how local coconut candy is made
- Explore the bustling port city of My Tho
- Feast on Vietnamese cuisine at a local restaurant
- Row in a sampan along the canals through shady, breezy canal under the green canopy of water coconuts trees.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Your Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City|
|DEPARTURE TIME||8:00 AM -18:00 PM|
|TRANSPORTATION||Luxury Mini Van|
|INCLUDED|| English-speaking guide
|NOT INCLUDED|| Personal expensive